Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Lyrakien (Wanderer Azata)

Another azata—one similar both in name and presentation to the Lillend—the Lyrakien, AKA the Wanderer Azata. We've previously lamented about outsiders, as sometimes it can feel like they are boxed into a particular story archetype that can make them somewhat uninteresting. Max once noted that, to your average medieval peasant, anything that isn't human would probably just be called some variation of demon, devil, or angel, that sort of thing. There's probably some design space there to play with, perhaps someone who is or is not educated in the nuances of planar creatures and the misunderstandings that can result from that understanding.

For our purposes, the wandering themed celestial can be used a few different ways. Consider how prevalent celestials are in your setting and game, and try to determine what circumstances may draw the attention of one such as a Lyrakien. The chaotic meddling of a celestial can shake things up, particularly when that celestial is themed around traveling and could be encountered anywhere.

As a low-level creature, the lyrakien can be a help or a hindrance to players as well as a powerful ally. A burst damage ability alongside some celestial-themed spells (most importantly heal!) can be used a number of different ways when needed. Should you use one (or modify one for an encounter), consider pairing with larger, hitpoint-heavy creatures that can protect the lyrakien while it heals them.

And that's the wanderer azata, patron of the open road. Perhaps when your players decide they need to restrict someone's freedom of movement, you'll know just what creature to present as a foil.

- Reece

Hook 1 (Max) - Gods Save the Queen

Mercenaries needed! A group known as the Free Spirits roam the realm and incite rebellion against its ruler, singing about revolution and bringing the tyranny down. The aforementioned tyranny does not take kindly to it.

Several towns are in a state of open revolt, refusing taxes, arming themselves in preparation for battle, and withholding information on the whereabouts of the musician troupe. The situation is starting to look somewhat dire.

The job is simple. Bring the queen the heads of all of the Free Spirits, and get your weight in gold, in addition to land, titles, and privileges.

Hook 2 (Nemanja) - The Spice of Life

A dwarven mining town seems to have gone dark—neither messenger nor traveler has come back from it in almost two weeks.

If anyone dares the treacherous mountain pass separating the town from civilization, they will not find it overrun with the forces of evil, but rather, under a spell by misguided though well-meaning azata. Indeed, to break the town's bleak, industrial and everyday reality, the wily outsiders put the workers of the city under a mass sleep charm. They are refusing to lift it up until a loud, cheerful, and colorful feast is thrown to cheer up the many laborers of the city. Of course, not they won't allow anyone who offers to headline the event, those who would take such an honor upon themselves must be tested against the finest of the lyrakiens' own musicians, dancers, and other performers.

Hook 3 (Reece) - Wanderer's Lament

From town to town my horse does ride
With water and food the world provides
There's one thing though, I cannot find
Dear Lyra, dear Lyra, that voice divine

While riding south, that winter cold
They called me fool, 'You're too old!'
And they were right, they told me true
Though I'd lost my wits, I did find you

When fallen from old Swiftstep's seat
I heard your voice, so kind, so sweet
You'd given me warmth and saved my life
Dear Lyra, Dear Lyra, don't cause me strife

From the grave, you brought my heart
There you sat, your smile? Art
In the morn', the cold did wane
I wish to see you once again

When the storm had settled down
and you'd brought my life around
You gave me help and asked for none
and now I wish to call ya hun

Dear Lyra, my Lyra, you've caught my soul
when you left, my gut did roll
though my passion burns like coal
in my heart, you left a hole

So I search these lonely trails
for that smile, this old heart ails
Now in this storm, I will take rest
and in its passing, I'll surely be blessed 

No comments:

Post a Comment